September 11, 2020
Weekly Newsletter 09.11.20
Weekly articles that highlight recent trends, key announcements, and emerging themes across the sports, media, and entertainment industries.
- Series S Redefines "Next-Gen" - And Throws Down A Gauntlet To Sony
- Esports Pros Have ‘Dream’ Jobs — But Game Publishers Have All The Power
- Chess (Yes, Chess) Is Now A Streaming Obsession
- NFL Football During A Pandemic Promises To Look Sort Of Similar And Yet Radically Different
- How Golf Won A Bet The Coronavirus Would Not Squelch Its U.S. Open
- The Fluid Morality Of The Transfer Market
- ‘Tenet’s’ Opening Weekend Was… Fine. Now What?
- Do Fall’s Big Film Festivals Still Matter?
- Has Rotten Tomatoes Ever Truly Mattered?
- Netflix Just Disrupted Itself. Why?
- Streaming Giants Present Bollywood With A New Script In Covid Era
- Coke Wants To Add Life To Streaming Video, Where Soda Commercials Aren’t Necessarily Welcome
- What The End Of E!'s ‘Keeping Up With The Kardashians’ Says About The Changing TV Industry
- As Coronavirus Pandemic Continues, Television Development Struggles To Pick Up The Pace
- How The CW’s ‘Aggressive’ Pursuit Of International Shows Has Paid Off
- What Is The Future Of Music Festivals?
- Hip-Hop’s Race To Get A No. 1 On The Billboard Charts Continues Amid A Complex System
- New Music Drops Every Minute. But Back-Catalogs Are Driving The Industry’s Transformation
- How App Developers Manipulate Your Mood To Boost Ranking
- TikTok Is Paying Creators. Not All Of Them Are Happy
- Forget TikTok. China’s Powerhouse App Is WeChat, And Its Power Is Sweeping.
In Case You Missed It…
- ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ Delayed Again, Will Arrive In Theaters Christmas Day
- ‘Tenet’ Kicks Off With $20 Million In The U.S., Nears $150 Million Globally
- ‘Mulan’ Leads China Friday, But With Just $8M On Day 1; Disney Pic Eyes $25M Weekend
- Nintendo Boosts Switch Production By Another 20%
- Twitch Unveils ‘Versus,’ Which Lets Anyone Create, Manage, And Livestream Their Own Esports Competition
- Ninja Returns Exclusively To Twitch With Multi-Year Deal
- Facebook Gaming Signs Streamer KingRichard To Exclusive Deal
- Apple Issues New Rules For App Store That Will Impact Streaming Game Services From Google And Microsoft
- Fortnite Is Launching A Concert Series It Hopes Will Become A ‘Tour Stop’ For Artists
- The Athletic Says It Hits 1 Million Subscribers After Surviving Sports Shutdown
- Penn National Gaming to Soft Launch Barstool Sportsbook App In Pennsylvania On September 15
- PointsBet And University Of Colorado Sign Landmark Betting Deal
- Canelo Álvarez Suing DAZN And Golden Boy Over Failure To Deliver Fights
- Major League Baseball In The Final Stages Of Postseason Bubble Plans With World Series In Texas
- The NFL’s Most Valuable Teams 2020: How Much Is Your Favorite Team Worth?
- ViacomCBS' Channel 5 In U.K. Strikes Deal For NFL Monday Games
- Discovery To Acquire New Zealand TV Channels From MediaWorks
- ‘Walking Dead’ Free Channel Launches On IMDb TV, Under Pact With AMC Networks To Add Six Total Channels
- Apple TV App Launches On Vizio Smart TVs
- Apple Launches Oprah's Book Club Podcast
- Charlamagne Tha God And iHeartMedia Launch Black Effect Podcast Network
- ViacomCBS And iHeartMedia Ink Three-Year Deal For Dozens Of Podcasts
- Beyoncé’s Label Sony Music Bets Its Next Big Hit Will Be A Podcast
- SiriusXM Subscribers Are Surging During The Pandemic — Up 40% From Earlier Projections
- Despite Pandemic, Recorded-Music Revenues Grew 5.6% In First Half Of 2020
- Bela Bajaria Named Netflix Head Of Global TV; Cindy Holland Exits
- Susan Rovner Set To Join NBCUniversal In Top TV Programming Role
- Paramount Pictures President Of Production Elizabeth Raposo Exits Studio
- Crown Media Family Networks Appoints Annie Howell As Chief Communications Officer
- Macro TV Studio Bolsters Ranks With Five New Executive Hires
- Banijay Appoints Endemol Shine’s Lars Blomgren To Head Scripted For Europe, Middle East And Asia
- Apple Hires Former Hulu/Quibi Hollywood Exec As It Explores Apple TV+ Bundle Deals
- Amazon Installs Ukonwa Ojo As Chief Marketing Officer Of Prime Video, Amazon Studios
- Warner Music Group Names Kareem Chin Senior VP, Head Of Investor Relations
- Gannett Hires Spotify Veteran In Push For Digital News Subscribers
- Activision Blizzard Names New EMEA Boss
- Simon Carless Leaves Informa