March 27, 2020
Weekly Newsletter 03.27.20
Weekly articles that highlight recent trends, key announcements, and emerging themes across the sports, media, and entertainment industries.
- Deciding To Postpone The Olympics Was Tough. Actually Moving Them May Be Tougher.
- Everything Old Is New Again In TV Sports
- The Athletic Suffers Identity Crisis Over Cancelled Sports Fixtures
- Can Movie Theaters Survive The Coronavirus Crisis?
- Festival-Bound Filmmakers' New Dilemma: Screen Virtually Or Wait For Another Market?
- Euro Indies Break Theatrical Windows, Launch VOD Strategies Amid Coronavirus Crisis
- Hollywood's Growing Debt And Earnings Risk Amid The Pandemic: "It's All About Liquidity"
- High-Flying Endeavor Brought Down To Earth By Virus And Debt
- A Hunger For Information Is Driving TV News To Peak Levels
- How Coronavirus Will Reshape The Concert Business
- 'Instagram, How We Feeling!' Can Livestreaming Replace Cancelled Gigs?
- Spotify Attracts Podcast Fans But Not Much Revenue — Yet
- Olympic Postponement Lays A Body Blow On An Unsuspecting Target: NBC Streaming Service Peacock
- As Jeffrey Katzenberg’s Quibi Races Toward Launch, Will A Changed World Help Or Hurt?
- Coronavirus Quarantine Boosts Streaming Video, But Not Advertising Yet
- Coronavirus Could Deal Final Blow To Embattled Apex Legends Pro Scene
- What Does A Chain Of Esports Restaurant Arcades Do In A Pandemic?
- Apple’s App Store Rules Limit Rival Gaming Services While Arcade Runs Free
- The Coronavirus Revives Facebook As A News Powerhouse
- Coronavirus Ad Blocking Is Starving Some News Sites Of Revenue
- How The Viral App Houseparty Is Entertaining A Generation In Lockdown
In Case You Missed It…
- New York Times Acquires Audm, Whose Narrators Turn Long-Form Journalism Into Audio
- Amazon's Twitch Teams Up With Concert Service Bandsintown To Help Bands Make Money In Quarantine
- YouTube, Twitch, Facebook, Instagram See Significant Boosts In Traffic Amid Digital Ad Woes
- Epic Launches Publishing Label, Signs Creators Behind Control, Inside, And The Last Guardian
- Nevada Approves CS:GO Esports Bets For The First Time In Landmark Decision
- Roblox’s In-Game Bloxy Awards Draw 600,000 Spectators
- NASCAR’s First Virtual Race Draws Record-Setting 903K Viewers, Seals Broadcast Deal For Rest Of Season
- Wanda Sports To Sell Ironman To Advance For $730 Million
- NCAA Says Loss Of Tournament Will Cut School Payments By 63%
- Linear Ad Sales Expected To Drop 12% In 2020 And 2021 Due To Coronavirus Crisis
- Television Audiences Surge To 12-Month Highs As Coronavirus Keeps Americans Home
- Streamer FuboTV, Facebank Group To Merge
- HBO Now Streaming Has Ballooned 40% In Past Week, WarnerMedia Says
- Disney Plus Hits 5 Million App Downloads In U.K., Europe On Launch Day
- Amazon Unlocks Batch Of Kids’ Shows Free To Stream For All Customers
- ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ Speeds To Early Release On Digital
- 'Wonder Woman 1984' Release Pushed To Late Summer Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- Drive-Ins Continue To Post Best Ticket Sales In Weekend Box Office Wiped Out By Theater Closures
- China Orders Re-Closing Of All Cinemas Nationwide
- Comcast Joins Disney In Raising Cash, Selling $4 Billion In Debt Securities
- Discovery Withdraws 2020 Fiscal Outlook, Draws Down $500 Million Amid Coronavirus Outbreak
- Twitter Says Coronavirus Hit Global Ad Sales In Last Few Weeks, Withdraws Q1 Financial Guidance
- Endeavor Lays Off 250 Across Company, Exploring Wide Salary Cuts
- United Talent Agency Cuts Salaries And Top Executives Forgo Pay As Coronavirus Hits Hollywood
- Paradigm Layoffs Hit Senior Agents In Music, Movie And TV Literature
- Tunecore CEO Scott Ackerman Is Officially Stepping Down
- Mattias Behrer Appointed CEO Of Live Nation Sweden
- Gfinity's CEO And Chairman Step Down Ahead Of 60% Cost Reduction Plan
- Splyce Co-Founder Departs OverActive Media
- Immortals Gaming Club Hires Former NASCAR CRO Jon Tuck
- US Soccer Names Will Wilson As New CEO